Monday, January 11, 2010

The problem with proselytising...


There are perils that come with promoting yourself as a greenie in the blogosphere. The main one is that at some point you are bound to get caught out being un-green by some keen-eyed buddy who read your blog. I had never thought about that while I happily typed away about my fabulous virtuous low carbon life in the comfort of my own living room, but on Saturday night at a party a friend looked over my shoulder as I filled a plate full of chicken wings at the buffet and said, “Flexing that ’tarianism I see”.

Busted.

I had no idea where the meat came from and it didn’t cross my mind to ask. But having written about the virtues of carefully considered meat-eating, I was caught out ignoring my own rules. This is the problem with being evangelical about a lifestyle choice, nothing can sustain 100% perfection. I do try on an ongoing basis to live a good life, but there will be times when I fail. And that isn't the end of the world, it just proves that I am human. It has prompted me to think about the big hypocrisies that us environmental types fall prey to - fodder for a future blog...


1 comment:

  1. ... and a rather wonderful home-made cake, as I recall!

    ReplyDelete