Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Uncomfortable reading

From my outpost in the middle of nowhere, Canada (as my facebook friends will know, we are so rural here that the village liquor store's opening hours made the headline news the other day), I have been reading while Senan sleeps and Brendan chugs by on a tractor or is up on a ladder fixing things. So I thought I'd share...

I have just finished "Hell and High Water, Climate Change, Hope and the Human Condition" by Alastair McIntosh (of Soil and Soul fame) and I felt compelled to suggest it as a good read as it looks at climate change issues head on (in a similar vein to Monbiot and Lovelock), but then addresses the internal work of the human condition that we will need to undertake beyond the government cuts and sustainable lifestyle choices.

I loved Soil and Soul so much that I dived into this book with zeal, and it was not quite the joyous read that I expected, sometimes it is very very poignantly sad, but there is a chapter which could make a great reading on consumption and marketing. I would highly recommend it and of course if you haven't read S and S yet - start with that - it is the daddy (or should I say mother) of all them enviro-books.

I am now reading the Power of Now and struggling with "surrendering" which is an illuminating challenge. Bren has taken the baby down the beach to give him a dunkin' and I am practicing not worrying about it at all. er... I'll let you know how long this zen buzz lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment